Friday, April 4, 2008

Comedy of Errors :-P

My Wed afternoon was fairly amusing so I think I should share it w/ ya'll. So I come home from a lovely walk in the park w/ one of my mom friends. It's been a gorgeous day so far. So I feed & change Molly since we've been out for a bit & lay her down for a nap. I go to wash my hands & we have no water! All of a sudden I'm like "wait, I did pay all of our bills right?". Our electricity worked so I have no idea why I was suddenly afraid that I forgot our utilities bill (especially since I haven't missed a bill yet) but sleep deprivation does weird things to your mind. So I go online to check if I paid the bill & our account is negative! Now we've never overdrawn our account so my stomach just plummeted. I go to check our history & there is this significant withdrawal over the weekend that I don't remember making (also the name on it is incomprehensible it's a code ... not a real name). I'm like wow someone totally stole our money! (oh and Ian is at a UI meeting all day so he's totally incommunicado). So I'm trying to call the bank & they keep needing info like the last 4 of Ian's soc (which I forgot). So I'm trying to grab the folder that has all of our info in it but of course I'm in the middle of a big pillow project & I had decided to leave all of my sewing stuff on top of our filing cabinet. So I find the file, punch in our info & then Molly decides to have a MELTDOWN. So I run the baby room & she will not settle down. As soon as I think I've got her settled she'll flip over onto her tummy & start screaming bloody murder. Oh & I have 15 people showing up in a few hours for dinner & my dishes are all unwashed in the dishwasher (I loaded it but didn't run it) & I haven't prepped the food yet (and I have no water). So I finally get Molly settled down & I go back to the bank website & all of a sudden it hits me. We withdrew a bunch of money from our SAVINGS account to invest in Ian's fidelity account. Only we must have hit the wrong button & we took it from our CHECKING account (which we don't keep a lot of cash in). Oh no. Then I see $4,000 on our history after the withdrawal. I'm in such shock right now about what we did that I think we're being charged $4,000 for overdrawing out account. I freaked. Then I looked at it again. Nope it was a deposit into our account to help cover the over withdrawal. Oh yeah, we signed up for over withdrawal protection. Duh! :-P That money came from our credit card to help cover the over withdrawal.

So I calmed down. Molly started fussing again so this time I calmly went over & got her to sleep. Then I moved money around & paid off the credit card that covered our over withdrawal protection. I called Pizza Hut & ordered pizza for dinner (put the produce away for the dinner I was planning on making) and decided to go buy paper plates & drinks once Molly woke up. Geez what a way to come home! :-P It all ended up being very chill but I massively freaked out at the time. :-P Also our water came back on after a bit (turns out we had an emergency water shut down for some reason or another but it was all dealt w/ fairly quickly).

My lesson to all of you new parents: Don't try to multi task while you're sleep deprived (especially if it's for anything important). It's not pretty :-P

4 comments:

M Tai said...

as much of a stressful situation as this was, I admit I had to chuckle as I could totally picture you running around, trying to calm Molly down, trying to find stuff, trying to figure out dinner, trying to keep sane... I'm just glad everything worked out fine for you in the end!

nice to see you have a blog! can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!!
-MAT-

Sarah said...

CLASSIC! Just Classic! :)

Sarah

Amber said...

I've so had days like this! I feel your craziness/pain! :) It was so great to see you again, even if it was via pics. Matt forwarded me your blog and I must say, I love it! You're great Liz! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Makes me very glad Brian deals with our finances! One less thing to do while sleep-deprived...