Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Eyes of Eternity

Some things I'm thinking about right now ....

I recently attended a memorial service for my friend's grandmother. While her death was a horrible & sad occasion, her memorial service was a beautiful one. The family made a point of celebrating her life & her legacy. The songs they picked out were ones that praised God & spoke of trusting in Him. Throughout the sermon they spoke of this amazing legacy she left behind (a beautiful family that loves Jesus). It was an awesome service. Instead of mourning her death, everyone celebrated her life, especially her current life right now w/ Jesus.

I had just finished reading a chapter in "How People Change" that talked about looking at our lives through the eyes of eternity (how odd that I was reading this chapter on this specific week). It basically talked about God's ultimate plan for our lives (sanctification). At small group that week one of the girls stated that God isn't looking out for our happiness. He loves us too much for that ... God is looking out for our sanctification. This is still a hard concept for me .... I don't really want that extra sanctification. I mean I do, I just don't want to have to go through anything hard. Here is a scripture I read that week regarding eternity:

"And he said, 'These are they who have come out of the great triculation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore,
'they are before the throne of god
and serve Him day and night in his temple;
and he who sits on the throne
will spread out his tent over them.
Never again will they hunger;
never again will they thirst.
The sun will not beat upon them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepard;
he will lead them to springs of living water.
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes' "
(Revelations 7:9-17)

Somewhat recently I was reading the Anne of Green Gables series to Molly (I know I'm such a girl!). Anyways one passage in "Anne of the Island" caught my eye & still sticks w/ me. Anne's old friend Ruby is dying & she's scared to die b/c heaven won't be what she's used to down on earth (she talks about how she'll be homesick in Heaven). Anne is sad b/c she realizes that her friend will feel alienated in heaven. The book talks about how none of Ruby's shallow & frivilous life will be at home in heaven. Now I don't agree w/ all of the theology in these books but I was struck by this passage. I have been soo blessed on this Earth. I've had so many wonderful opportunities & life experiences; I was raised in a wonderful family & now I have an amazing husband and a beautiful baby girl. Sometimes I get so caught up in all of the blessings that I take my eyes off of the Creator. I don't want to be like Ruby where all of my hopes & dreams are based on this earth. What is that CS Lewis quote? "We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and lust and ambition when infinate joy is offered to us, like an ignorant child who wants to keep on making mud-pie in the slums because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a vacation at the beach." If I really wanted to be happy, I would seek God. Oh, but God is abstract! It takes effort to reach God. So I settle. I settle for weak amusements that require no effort. What a lazy fool I am!!" - CS Lewis

Anyways I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else, but this is what I've been thinking about lately. I've been thinking about my eternity & my legacy. I know that I'm saved but I want more than that ... I want to crave Jesus ... I want to be anxious for heaven. Sorry if this is rambling. I started this blog so my friends could know what is going on in my life. Well this is what is going on right now.

No comments: